Holidays can mean different things for different individuals. It can mean time to relax, time to get away from your usual routine, time to visit friends and family, or time to travel the world. Regardless of the meaning you put to it, holidays should be an experience that one enjoys, an experience that creates good memories, and an experience that provides peace of mind.
With that said, there are many ways that you can avoid getting sick, to ensure that you get the most out of your holidays.
Take Vitamin Supplements
Supplements, such as melatonin, probiotics, oregano oil, and a multivitamin should be at the top of your packing list. No matter where you are planning to spend your holidays, and how long it would be for, taking these supplements while on vacation is essential to your health. Read about some of the most effective natural supplements here.
These are some of the benefits that you can expect from taking the above mentioned dietary supplements:
- Melatonin will help regulate your biological clock (sleep/wake cycle). It can promote sleep and also provide relief from jet lag.
- Probiotics keep your stomach healthy and strong and consequently improve your immune system.
- Oregano oil contains Omega-3 and other healthy nutrients. It helps protect against bacteria, viruses, and parasites, including giardia. It also helps protect against amoeba, fleas, mosquitoes, lice, and bed bugs.
- Multivitamins contain a combination of essential vitamins that are important for your body. These have antioxidants that will help neutralize free radicals, support your energy levels and improve your immune system.
Staying active does not need to be complicated. Taking a walk every morning or afternoon, or any time of the day helps, and contributes positively to your health. You can also use a hotel gym if there is one available where you are staying, or use a Workout DVD if you prefer to be indoors. The impact of regular activity on your physical and mental health cannot be underestimated, and therefore, it should not be put on hold when on holiday.
Remember, you do not have to be at the gym for an hour every day to reap the benefits of exercise. A study conducted by researchers at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine found that a 20-minute moderate exercise session is good enough to stimulate a cellular response that may help suppress inflammation. Of course, there are many other health benefits provided by regular exercise, such as improving your health in general.
During the holidays or vacations, it’s very easy to overindulge. It is obvious that in most cases holidays come with lots of delicious treats and foods, however, these foods, if not eaten in moderation are not very beneficial for your health or your waistline. It is good to keep in mind that overindulgence does not just cause weight gain, but it has other negative implications to your health.
Follow these tips if you want to eat well, and stay healthy while on holiday:
- Be selective – avoid eating everything. Eat food that you really love, and eat it moderately.
- Take a ten-minute break before you go for seconds. You might realize that you are full, and do not actually need the seconds, or just need a small portion.
- Stay far away from the food table to avoid taking more food.
- Drink more water and/or juice, and less wine, and beer, as these have over 150 calories in them.
- Eat more vegetables – it is better to fill-up your stomach with something healthy, than unnecessary food.
Pampering yourself in not only a wonderful way to recharge and rejuvenate but it is a necessity for both your physical and mental health. Going for a massage, for example, can help relieve stress, improve your mood, and it can also even improve your skin health.
Get Enough Sleep
You can have all the fun you want, eat properly, pamper yourself, and take all the necessary vitamin supplements to stay healthy, however, if you are depriving your body of sleep, you are not going to feel great at all. Recent studies have shown that sufficient sleep is extremely important in maintaining good health and reaching maximum performance, therefore, it is crucial that you get enough sleep every night so that you feel refreshed and ready to tackle any adventure.
Stay healthy, and enjoy your holidays.